
I volunteer with the MathCounts organization. On Saturday, the North Salt Lake competition was held, where I helped score. Every year, I am shocked and amazed how smart these kids are. Here are a couple of questions that they might have had to answer. Can you answer them?
Quentin spent $480 to purchase 30 books. Using the same
average price per book, how much will 45 books cost?
Suelyn counts up from 1 to 9, and then immediately counts down
again to 1, and then back up to 9, and so on, alternately counting
up and down (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,2,3,4,...). What is
the 1000th integer in her list?
Four couples are at a party. Four people of the eight are
randomly selected to win a prize. No person can win more
than one prize. What is the probability that both members
of at least one couple win a prize? Express your answer as a
common fraction.
Now the kids have only 40 minutes to answer 30 questions like these. Which is 1 question for every 1 minute 20 seconds. How long did it take you?
Did I mention that these are 6th, 7th, and 8th graders? They are smart!!
7 comments:
I guess I am glad I am out of school. My poor kids, at least cousin Trenna can help them with their Math. Since January I have been a faithful stalker of some of the Gardner family blogs. I tagged you in my blog and am supposed to leave you a comment to come and read it. rlkrt.blogspot.com
Where did you come from? That is not even fun. It makes my brain hurt just reading your blog. If DJ gets half of your brain, he will be a genious.
hey why havent you posted the answers yet!?
AH, MathCounts. I remember those days. It has been a long time. I am glad they are still around, so that nerds like me can feel accomplishment. Thanks for supporting this as it really does help encourage math, which is always good.
Tyler, why don't you post the answers and i will tell you if you are right. You and SpunkyLizard should both be able to get these right!
im pretty sure I could figure them out if I spent like an hour on them. The first one is pretty easy. But I'm not even taking math in college so why should I start right now? Plus I know that those 6th graders could kick my butt any day!
Okay Tyler and everyone else who wants to know, the answers are 720, 8, and 27/35
Post a Comment