Thursday, March 27, 2008

More Medical Woes

It has been a while since I have downloaded pictures from my camera to my computer. Some days I feel like I can't post without a picture. I thought I better share our doctors visit to update everyone picturelessly. (Really, there is no good picture to show about a doctor's visit. I do, however, have a cute picture of DJ in his new Easter outfit. Well, I will save that for another post.)
We went to DJ's ear doctor appointment the other day because his tubes had come out. (They are supposed to do that after a while). He had a hearing test which the audiologist scored at a moderate level. He could distinguish voices, but some sounds (bells, whistles, etc.) he did not respond to. After that we went to see the doctor. She noticed that there was fluid in his ears, that was not flushing like it was supposed to. Even though his ears were not infected yet, they probably would be. So she put him on antibiotics. She said the reason DJ probably was not talking yet is because of this fluid. She compared it to an adult trying to learn Japenese under water. You could figure out what someone was saying enough to understand what they were saying, but not well enough to repeat it. The doctor wants to see him in 6 weeks and if the fluid has not gone down, then she wants to put another set of tubes in and remove his adenoids. Hopefully, the antibiotics will help flush the fluid. We'll hope for that rather than surgery in May and then an MRI in June for his head. We are seeing way too many doctors!!

1 comment:

Kim and Jim said...

Wow, DJ is such a little trooper, to have to go through all that! And you and Jon as well. Taking up a permanent residence at the Dr's offices is no fun! I'm glad they are staying on top of things though, and taking good care of that little munchkin!